5.03.2011

waiting for bees

After calling a few times since mid-April, (since that's when we were told to call and check in) tonight I finally got in touch with the man supplying our nuc of bees.  Lucky for us, it turned out he was heading our way later in the evening and he offered to pick up our hive box and call us when he had the bees in and ready to go.  I was more than happy to accept the offer since we had expected we'd be making the 45 minute drive back from his place with bees in a box in the back of the car and surely having to reference good old YouTube quite a bit once we were home and needed to get them in the hive.  I don't mind missing out on that first lesson in beekeeping.  There will certainly be more lessons coming.

Like bears.

He told me very matter-of-factly that we would absolutely need a bear fence around the hive.  Even though we have a fence.  And a dog.  I know we have neighborhood bears, though I've not yet seen one myself, but somehow I was thinking we'd get by with our fence and Wolfie.  Hmmmmm.  Maybe not.  Guess we need to start coming up with a solution.

So, we wait.  One day very soon he'll call and we'll go running to bring home our newest (and likely last, for a while anyway) addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~