2.18.2011

need a good pot roast (or bbq'd tofu) recipe?

Last night we had a delicious barbecued venison pot roast for dinner.  So, so tasty.  We came across the recipe years ago after we were both eating meat again and learning how to cook it.  I wanted a "traditional" pot roast... you know, like mom made, and he wanted something different.  We tried this and I've been happy for it to be our go-to recipe whenever we have a beef (or in this case, venison~ thanks to my mom's neighbor) roast.  Which happens once, maybe twice a year.  If you told me ten years ago that I'd be eating meat now, (especially Bambi!) I would have laughed and probably gone on and on about why we should all be vegetarians.  But here I am.  Occasionally I question whether or not I feel good about now consuming other animals, but mostly I'm pretty solid in my decision.  I'm selective about the meat I eat, so that helps.  So this pot roast recipe..... yum.  And actually, I bet if you sliced some tofu or tempeh and poured this homemade bbq sauce over it (minus the Worcestershire) and baked it, it'd be pretty fabulous too!  I think I'll give that a try next go around.

3# roast, excess fat trimmed
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (I always use more)
8oz tomato sauce
1/4 c brown sugar
3 TB apple cider vinegar
1 TB mustard
1 TB Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper

brown roast in skillet on all sides, place in crock pot.  saute onion and garlic until soft and place in pot with roast. whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over roast/onion/garlic mixture, cover. cook on low for 10 hours, or high for 6 hours. (or until meat is tender and you can't stand smelling it anymore and just have to eat it!)

mmmmm-mmmmm good.

Do excuse the absence of a pretty picture.  You see, I pretty much took the lid off the crock pot and started in on it right there... no fancy plating, no good photo ops.  Mike can verify this.  Apparently the absence of red meat from my diet for many years has caused me to now go to town on it whenever we actually have it.  What can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~