1.27.2011

making time for mama~

A while back I wrote about a work/trade position that I am in at the local yoga studio.  In exchange for class time, I help to prep the studio and sign students in once a week.  I have accrued about 10 hours of free class time and (perhaps not surprisingly) have used only one so far.  Ugh.  Today Claire and I joined a lovely group of mamas and babes for some Valentine-making crafty fun and I had every intention of getting back home in time to get her down for a decent afternoon nap before heading out to the studio.  But..... as is often the case when this mama finds herself around other mamas, particularly this wonderful group of women, well..... let's just say that the conversation and community was tough to leave behind and so the trip home was a wee bit rushed.  I figured the only way a nap was likely was if we walked, and so, cold and wind not holding us back, I bundled us both up and wrapped her nice and close to me in one of these great wraps (on loan from the same neighbor who inspired me to bake our bread, rekindled my interest in knitting, loaned us many cloth diapers and helps keep the chickens in kale stems...thanks, Grace!) and off we went.  She did fall asleep, the studio did get cleaned and prepped, and the walk home wasn't nearly as cold as I had imagined it might be, thanks to our ever-increasing daylight.

So, it went just fine.  But it did get me thinking that it's about time I start cashing in those hours and get myself to some classes.  It's so easy to fall into the trap of not making time for ourselves, isn't it?  As women, yes, but most especially as mothers.  Add in a spouse who works 24 hour shifts at the fire department, and it gets a little tricky sometimes.  Said spouse is more than willing to accommodate some mama-time when his schedule allows though, and so for that I am most grateful.  I just need to plan ahead and remember to put it on the calendar.  I wonder how many people have conversations around whether or not something was "on the calendar!"?  (happens a bit around here)  And so, on the calendar yoga classes will soon go.

And tomorrow?  Well tomorrow I'm getting a massage~

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~