7.12.2011

wild places


"People need wild places.  Whether or not we think we do, we do.  We need to be able to taste grace and know once again that we desire it.  We need to experience a landscape that is timeless, whose agenda moves at the pace of speciation and glaciers.  To be surrounded by a singing, mating, howling commotion of other species, all of which love their lives as much as we do ours, and none of which could possibly care less about our economic status or our running day calendar.  Wildness puts us in our place.  It reminds us that our plans are small and somewhat absurd.  It reminds us why, in those cases in which our plans might influence many future generations, we ought to choose carefully.  Looking out on a clean plank of planet earth, we can get shaken right down to the bone by the bronze-eyed possibility of lives that are not our own."


Barbara Kingsolver, from "Small Wonders"



Oh, I do so love me some Barbara Kingsolver.

I find that nothing quite brings me back to center like getting out there.  Some days it's as simple as getting my hands in the dirt in the garden.  Other days it requires more.  A long hike maybe, or a good long while spent staring at and listening to moving water.

And a waterfall?  Forget about it.  That's my church.

I didn't do anything amazing outdoors today.  I tended to the garden and took Claire to a park with a creek to play with some friends.  Though I suppose even these things, in some way, are amazing.  "Nature" and "wild places" really can mean so many different things and take on so many different faces.  I am quite grateful for my many varied encounters with wild places.

2 comments:

  1. i think growing up in new mexico was the thing that got me hooked on wild places. they are so necessary, so wild and free and empty and yet so full of beauty. and yes, i'm usually out in my garden sunday morning taking my queue from emily dickinson
    http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/D/DickinsonEmi/324SomekeepS.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet poem, thanks for sharing that~

    I'm enjoying reading through your 'love lists' on your blog, think I may just have to organize my weekend ramblings in a fashion similar to your weekending posts.......

    Ah, and I see a congrats is in order~ Congrats to you and happy baby knitting!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~