6.27.2011

and now, we are beekeepers~

Early this morning we drove over the mountain into Marion to pick up our bees.  We purchased Russian bees from a local beekeeper and he'd finally been able to split some of his into our hive body last week.  We've been in contact with him since late April, and were anxiously awaiting the day that we could FINALLY go and pick up our new girls.  

Thousands of them.

As we were approaching his house, checking mailboxes for the right number, Mike noticed a house ahead and said "I'm pretty sure it's probably that one, the one with all the bees."  Yep.  That was it.  He had dozens of colorful hives in a sunny patch in his backyard.  What a pretty sight.  The sourwood trees are already blooming down in Marion, with ours up here a week or so behind, and we were told that they've been busy, busy, busy "working the flow" and not getting in for the night until after 9pm.  I pictured all those little bees out and about working hard all day long and getting home just as darkness fell.  Pictured them settling in for the night and telling each other about what they had encountered, getting a snack, tucking themselves in for a little rest...... it's a cute thought, anyway.





We chatted a bit more, then Mike secured the hive with a ratchet strap and carefully placed it in the car.  A quick stop at a local beekeeping supply store to pick up our veil, hive tool and smoker and we were on our way back home to get these girls settled in and introduced to their new surroundings.



Mike carried the hive over to the stand that he had readied yesterday, a pallet on bricks in a small fenced in area that we reclaimed from the hens.  I claimed the job of removing the screen and so I quickly went about a little wardrobe change.  Pants, mud boots, a white long sleeved shirt and my long garden gloves, the veil of course.  Mike pointed out the deep v-neck of the shirt that I somehow had failed to notice and kindly duct taped it closed for me.  I grabbed a screwdriver and pliers and entered the little yard.  I gently removed the staples and duct tape, placed myself slightly to the side of the hive opening, and peeled back the wire mesh screen that had been keeping them in.  I really wasn't sure what to expect from them, but I was calm and trusted that it would be fine, whatever it was.

And of course, it was.  A couple hundred(ish) bees came tumbling/flying out at once and quickly began to orient themselves and fly off to explore.

We sat back and watched as they buzzed around the clover and ignored completely the daylilies and yarrow.


I'm really quite excited about this latest little adventure.  Seems we've invited yet another thing into our lives that will provide lessons on a nearly daily basis.  No shortage of lessons around here for the last year and half, I assure you.  I look forward to seeing these hard workers out and about every day, I am excited to learn the art of building the perfect little fire in the smoker, and of course I'm excited to taste sweet honey from our own backyard hive, in due time.  For now, mostly, I'm just thrilled to see them buzzing around and getting comfortable.

Mike has done quite a bit more reading about bees and beekeeping than I have, but there are a few books on my reading list that I'm now a bit more inspired to dive into.  

Specifically, these:

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~