3.17.2011

rather boring, actually

Nothing exciting here today.  Especially, thank goodness, nothing like the kind of excitement we had yesterday.  Today I'm just gonna write about my clothes and seeds again.  There's your fair warning.

So, clothes.  I am happy to report that I actually did what I set out to do.  It feels good.  There's something refreshing and even liberating about opening my closet door and being able to see all of my clothes at once, with nowhere for anything to hide.  Now, if I notice a shirt or skirt sitting around a while being ignored I can just throw it on or pass it along.  This Winter I was pretty ruthless with my sweaters, partly because I was on a hunt for recycled sweater stuffed animal material, and partly because I accepted that many of mine were shapeless and unflattering.  Don't go thinking I'm against shapeless and unflattering clothing, because of course there's a place for that in any wardrobe, but I assure you I had more than my fair share.  And so the next victim of my ruthlessness?  Skirts.  I have several that I've seldom or even never worn so now they will have to pass some tests.  Get cramming skirts, gonna be a tough one.

Another thing about me and clothes.... or maybe it's me and clothes and motherhood.... seems I don't wear all that many clothes anyway.  And I don't mean that in a fun kinda way.  One recent morning after I returned home from an early appointment, Mike looked me up and down and said "You're wearing clothes.  (pause)  Before noon."  I laughed but it seemed he was actually surprised.  Hmm.  Well, I guess I hadn't really noticed so much.  And by the way, if you read this babe, not the thing a girl wants to hear her husband say after looking her up and down.  Though thanks to your little kindly observation I have been making more of an effort to get dressed (and even make the bed!) shortly after rising.  Have you noticed?  Bet you have.

Anyway, here are my "after" shots.... an empty dresser and an organized closet:




Okay, enough about clothes.

Seeds!



With raised beds this year, I plan to be (and will have to be) a bit more thoughtful about how many seedlings I start and what I plant.  And a bit more realistic, too.  As in, if I start several just in case some don't do well, I will still only plant what we need and not all of them just because I haven't the heart to toss those precious little hard-working sprouts.  Not that I've had trouble with that in the past.  Nope.  Not at all.  And summer squash?  Well,  I will only plant one (or two) plants, not six (or ten).  Really.  Even though they sprout so quickly and make me feel so productive and satisfied as I watch them grow (and grow and grow and grow...)  Yep.  One.  Or two.  But that's all.  So what will I plant?  What will fill our lovely new raised beds?  Here's the plan, roughly.

Tomatoes:
1 Sungold
1 Yellow Pear or Patio Cherry
2 Eva Purple Ball
2 Brandywine
1 Arkansas Traveler

Greens:
Kale
Spinach
Collards
Tatsoi

garlic
onions and leeks (though only a small patch this year)
radishes
snap peas
green beans
eggplant
cucumbers
sweet Italian peppers
beets
Summer squash, 1 or 2 (and maybe a Patty-Pan if I can get a few seeds or find a start)
Winter squash: Long Island Cheese, Hubbard, Delicata, Butternut, various pumpkin.... don't know exactly where all of this orange deliciousness will grow... but I've got a while to figure it out

NO carrots or broccoli, for as much as I love both, they don't seem to like it here, or don't like me, or
something....

potatoes- SO fun, just need to find some space for them...
flowers- gotta have some flowers
herbs- basil, parsley, dill, chives, sage, rosemary, thyme...

Of course there's always room, somehow, for a wee bit of flexibility!

With the beautiful weather and ready beds, I am trying hard to resist getting some of these started today.  We are going out of town for a bit next week and I know I really shouldn't start them and then abandon them for 4 days.  We'll see.  Suppose I should wait.  No fun.

In the meantime, I'm getting quite excited about our upcoming adventures of the apis mellifera sort!


cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~