1.22.2011

there WILL be legwarmers


With this (not so) wee one's first birthday only 8 days away (!) I've got a few little handmade presents currently in the works.  They are in various stages of completion and two of them are actually still in various stages of "planning".  We'll see.  Not that she has any idea about what is going on or will mind (or even know) if I don't get these things done, but I certainly do feel like celebrating the occasion a bit and since we've decided to forgo the party this year, I'll feel good about getting a few things made for her.

We (well, I anyway) debated on whether or not to have a party for some time until finally settling on not.  For a few reasons.  Mostly because I didn't feel like stressing over party plans and because I didn't want to invite more "stuff" into the house right now.  Sure, we could have tried the "please, no gifts" move, but I think people will always think you're just being polite and trying to make them feel better if they don't bring something but that you wouldn't really mind if they did.  Wink, wink.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-gift, really.  I am just acknowledging the fact that Claire has no expectations about the big day and is already surrounded by many lovely things and that it doesn't really require so much spending and so much stuff to raise a baby or celebrate their birthday in a way that is meaningful, joyful, and rich.  I know she'll get a few gifts from some of her loved ones (I myself am currently making her some things, remember?), and that's just fine.... more than fine.

I recently found myself hanging out with several of my mama friends when one of them mentioned having had a different kind of party for her son when he was 2 or 3.  She had everyone bring one toy (in good condition, but rarely played with anymore) from home wrapped up like a gift, and everyone swapped so that each child left the party with something "new".  What a great idea, I think.  I will certainly welcome ideas like that into our birthday celebrations as Claire gets older and I try to discourage too much "need of stuff" while at the same time encouraging fun and celebration.  I can see how it is so very easy to fall into getting so much stuff for your children, thinking that this or that will enrich their world...and surely some of it really can....but how much do we (and they) really need?  At what point does some stuff become too much stuff and the imagination gets called on less and less?  Another one of those fine lines in parenting that I have to look forward to, I suppose.  And of course, as with many of these parenting decisions, it will all turn out just fine no matter which way we steer her and there's no need to get too carried away fretting over it.  All the same, I'll stick to excess-avoidance when I can.

Be sure though, there is no shortage of excitement around here and this little lady will be celebrated and loved IN EXCESS, each and every day~ And oh yes, there WILL be cake.  Of course there will.  And singing and candles and pictures too.

And so the gifts I'm making?  Well,  a favorite grey cashmere sweater of mine, after being claimed by moths or mice or something and turned into swiss cheese, will be turned into a soft little stuffed owl.  That pile of knit squares will finally become soft blocks. (though barely making it into the plural there with a likely end product of 2 (yes, 2!) blocks), and mama is knitting her some soft purple legwarmers.  I wasn't sure they'd work out, what with my lack of experience knitting and deciding to just pick a yarn and some needles and go from there with no pattern, but they are actually coming out just fine.

No, none of the other owls were made with cashmere sweaters and filled with bamboo..... but they weren't for Claire so......... well, they weren't for Claire.  This one is.

It turns out it takes longer than I expected to make lots of blocks.  I hope she likes the 2, possibly 3 that she's getting, but I am prepared for her to completely ignore them.
I cast on 24 stitches and divided them evenly on 3 double pointed needles, starting knitting 2 and purling 2 and so far, so good.   Size 5 needles, Stitch Nation Bamboo Ewe (bamboo wool blend) yarn in Twilight
slowly but surely, we're getting there....
Legwarmers.  Just what a one year old dreams about getting for her first birthday, right?  Like socks, underwear or ties as you get older....  Well, I think she'll like 'em~

Okay, no more writing for at least a couple days..... I have 1 and 2/3 legwarmers to get working on!

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your blog, and I love getting caught up on your life and Mike's and Claire's! And, you are doing a great job with Claire. I totally agree about keeping all the stuff to a minimal. With 4 boys, I haven't done quite as good, but we regularly clean out, especially as new stuff comes in. Now that they're all older, it's great, b/c all they want is money!

    I can't wait to see y'all in March! And...speaking of that, I was going to invite you, Mike and Claire to stay with us while you're here. We have plenty of room for you all (if y'all don't mind twin beds!!) and would LOVE to have you. I know you don't mind animals, which is good since we have 3 cats and 1 horse/dog. They're all great with kids. If you want to email me, my address is allboys@gmail.com.

    Love you!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~