8.12.2011

A week of Thich Nhat Hanh : day four

The Five Contemplations


This food is the gift of the earth, the sky,
numerous living beings
and much hard and loving work.


May we eat with mindfulness and gratitude
so as to be worthy to receive this food.


May we recognize and transform unwholesome
mental formations,
especially our greed.


May we take only foods that nourish us
and keep us healthy.


We accept this food so that we may nurture
our sisterhood and brotherhood,
build our Sangha, and nourish our ideal
of serving living beings.


verse 32 from Present Moment, Wonderful Moment
Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living




One place that I am most ready to be more mindful is at mealtime.  For so many reasons.  For me, for Claire, for my sense of calm and peace while eating....  and of course to remind myself at such an important time of day to be grateful for what I have and to acknowledge all that has gone into bringing it to our table.

We had a shortened version of this blessing up on our fridge for a long time and I loved it so much.  I am happy to now know the full version.  I think it's quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~