11.15.2017

kitchen witchery :: winter remedies and teas


Inspiration from the fall swap I recently hosted, and the simple observation that an increasing number of students at art class have been calling out due to illness have reminded me that 'tis the season to stock the medicine cabinet with some homemade remedies.  And so, fire cider, echinacea tincture, an immune blend tincture (I change it up a little each year but this year blended elderberry, echinacea, ginger, usnea, red clover, red root, and astragalus), elderberry syrup (with fresh ginger, cloves, cinnamon, reishi, astragalus and honey), and a few tea blends (one heavily inspired by a couple of Rosemary Gladstar's nourishing teas for women, a 'peace' blend, and a throat soothing blend) were recently made.  There will be at least one more batch of elderberry syrup coming (I give the little miss a spoonful daily along with a few other things), and I'll make cough/bronchial syrup when and if needed, but with these and the large batch of elderberry tincture that is already ready to use (and being used) I am feeling like we are fairly well stocked to ward off a lot of the funk that inevitably comes our way.

I started making a lot of our own medicines a few years ago and I've found it to be one of the most rewarding and empowering do-it-yourself kitchen-witchy things I do.  It is easy, accessible, and fun, and anyone can do it~

here's to winter wellness!

(I have found this 'key to winter wellness' to be quite useful when trying to pinpoint remedies and support for specific symptoms)

2 comments:

  1. i love your kitchen witchery posts :) reading this i am reminded how badly i wanted to make fire cider!! mmm... thanks for that! i need to get my own mountain rose order in. we are planning to make some salve and lip balm for christmas gifts. i also need to get some spices for the holiday spiced coffee we plan to make again. i always feel so inspired by your homemade medicine posts...well... all of your posts really :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, thanks, Jenny~ holiday spiced coffee sounds yummy!
      xo

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~