5.18.2011

a toddler lives here

Yesterday Claire and I met up with several of the wonderful women and babies from our Mamatime group.  These women helped keep me sane and grounded during those early months of new mamahood and I will forever be grateful for having taken the leap and joined the group, unsure as I was of whether or not I'd get anything out of it or have anything to contribute.  Silly me.  Through this group I realized how powerful it can be when people (especially women, no offense to the fellas) gather intentionally to support each other through a shared experience.  Powerful indeed.  Big time.

And so, a little over a year after we first gathered, we visited and watched each other's amazing little ones and talked about anything and everything.  And nothing.  Sometimes it's the sitting and simply being and talking about nothing that somehow feels the most connecting....

We wondered whether or not we could still really call our little ones babies.  I mean, of course we can.... but we were wondering, not that we really cared, how accurate that was.  I know that I've taken to referring to Claire as "my daughter" way more often than I do "my baby".  At least when talking to other people.  (as opposed to when I talk to myself...)

And then I realized that seemingly overnight, our household went from one of 2 adults and a baby to one of 2 adults and a toddler.

And I was surprised to find that, bittersweet as it may be in many (many, many, many) ways.......

I took this little revelation in stride, with a big smile, an open heart and much anticipation for what's to come.  Because there are great things coming.  Oh yes there are.

And then I looked around and really, the signs were everywhere.  The signs that yes indeed, a toddler lives here now.

snacks. there are always, always, always snacks.

we own a ride-on toy

she is practicing the art of oral hygiene

there is an ever-expanding shoe collection (and yes, those are black water shoes for my girl..... what can I say? they were $2 at the thrift store and she needed some waterproof shoes and mama isn't ready to spend $40 on these just yet)

there is sidewalk (er, fence?) chalk being put to it's intended use (when not being eaten, that is)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~