4.21.2011

taking the lettuce drawer out of the fridge

A different kind of produce drawer, or, what to do with an old under-the-oven drawer that has seen better days:









drill some holes, sit it on a bed of gravel, fill it with soil, plant some lettuce mix in it and voila! a handy little extension of a raised bed

also in our garden these days:

growing tomato seedlings,


a happy strawberry bed,


one of our two new heirloom and native to Western NC apple trees,


the little grapevine that could,


another bed on it's way,


a curious Margaret wanting to know just what that silly black eye on my face is,


a slowly dwindling pile of logs being turned into next year's wood pile, currently taking up about 1/3 of our driveway,


and an iris ready to burst amidst a jungle of day lilies.


Spring.  Far and away my most anticipated season.  Autumn is, I think, my favorite of all, but I don't long for it the way I do spring.  I know I'm not alone on this.

I'm thinking my focus for the next week will likely be on what's going on out of doors around here, since that's where I'm spending most of my time.  On the immediate list: plant our fig trees, transplant peonies, seed a perennial wildflower and native grasses bed, hook up the rain barrels, fill the new bed and add two more smaller ones, start more seeds, work on the wood pile, sift some compost...... that should keep us busy for a bit!

Inside, we're doing some rearranging in anticipation of readying a room for our little lass.  It's a slow and steady process, one I'm not really in a hurry to complete.  I know she'll still be spending a lot of time in our room with us for a while yet, but think it'll be good for her to start feeling out a space of her own.  I'm having a lot of fun thinking about fun things to do in that space, reading about creative ideas, and imagining how it will all take shape.  And, I'm always open to ideas.

cheers~

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~