12.20.2010

Up to my ears in owls, etc~



So it turns out owls are "hot" these days.  I spent nearly all of my free moments (which were quite few since someone still has a cold and has decided not to nap lately) over the last 3 days sewing little eyes and beaks onto little stuffed owl bodies.  I've sold close to 20 of my little recycled sweater friends recently and just today took a dozen to our local independent toy store, Cherry Street Kids.  I am happy to say that I am now taking a break from sewing little creatures and that our beautiful dining table (that we waited for for so long and I promised NOT to cover with piles) will now be able to once again be used for it's intended purpose.  Once I'm not seeing owls and bears in my sleep anymore, I plan to make another batch and put them on my etsy site (the still empty www.sweetpotatoclaire.etsy.com) along with some photography and see how it goes.  If nothing else, it'll give me a jump start on crafting for next year's tailgate market.   Now that they are out of the house and off the table, I can concentrate on some other stuff.  Stuff like wrapping gifts, baking cookies and breads, and making Claire's stocking.  Turns out stockings don't make themselves, after all.  Go figure.  Our tree is up and on it's way to being decorated, cards adorn the mantle, yummy local meats have been acquired from the farm for our Christmas Eve dinner, and I'm sneaking in Christmas music here and there in doses seemingly small enough that Mike hasn't banned me from selecting the music in the house just yet.  Now I just need to find the cinnamon roll recipe and we'll be good to go for Christmas breakfast as well~




Last night I attended a Meditative Circle Dance led by a local woman.  About 20 or so of us gathered at the local Quaker Meeting House and came together to learn some old circle dances danced to a beautiful and eclectic soundtrack.  I have taken part in these dances before at the Southeast Women's Herb Conferences and enjoyed them very much.  There is something about the rhythmic and repetitive motions of circle dances that lulls me into such a comfortable and peaceful place, and what's not to love about that?  This one was in honor of the Winter Solstice, to celebrate the return of light and remind ourselves of the light and fire that we are always carrying within.  As this is most definitely not even remotely close to Mike's cup of tea, he played with the little one while mama went out and did her thing.  I'm getting more of those moments lately, and I must say, it feels pretty good.  Well, I better turn in, as I've got big plans to wake at 3:15AM to see the lunar eclipse tonight (tomorrow morning). Not very often (not for over 300 years) does a total lunar eclipse occur on Winter Solstice.  The darkest night made even darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~