12.22.2010

O, Christmas Tree~

Choosing a Christmas tree is one of those things that I like to idealize in my head.  Things like vacations and snow days that are easy to picture as being nothing but relaxed bliss or hot cocoa and warm fires, when in reality traffic and frozen pipes are waiting right around the corner for you.

What awaited us were unusually frigid temperatures, few  choices, and my indecision whittling away those few as others quickly grabbed trees and strapped them atop their cars.  Mike stood shivering, trying to get me to hurry up already before they were all gone and I fed him some line about how he should chill out because we're picking a tree, a most important task.  By now you know we were at a tree lot and not out on some hillside with a saw in hand ready to cut our own evergreen.  Hmm.  And still I stood there, romanticizing about us being out choosing our tree.  I mean, tree lots are festive with their lights and signs and wreaths, but I just may have been trying to make it something it wasn't.  So, finally, we (I) made a decision, slipped the guy $25, and off we went.  Fa-la-la-la-la.  Perhaps when Claire is older we'll try the pick-your-own route, but I've got my own fond memories of tree lots from over the years and I will probably go about it all the same way next year.  Maybe I'll bring hot cocoa to add to the ambience.

Our lovely tree (close to 9 feet tall!) sat unadorned for several days and has been slowly decorated.  Claire likes pointing at it and "tree" now seems to be yet another word that she understands.  (Over the last 2 weeks we have been amazed to discover that she in fact knows several words, such as "ball", "spoon", "nose", "books", "bath", etc...wow! When did THAT happen?)  Yesterday she helped her papa finish hanging ornaments and did a nice job of jostling others around as well, just to keep them on their toes.  She was a trooper throughout the day's festivities, helping to keep an eye on the cookies as they baked and joining us outside for a Winter Solstice bonfire.  After we came in last night I just couldn't stop staring at the tree.  There's something so magical about a Christmas tree.... maybe the memories they bring up, maybe tradition, who knows~  but I think I could sit near it at night and stare at it for hours.  I loved doing that as a kid, just me in the living room, late at night, mesmerized by the tree lights.  Here are some pictures from our day (and night).







 Claire helping to hang (and "unhang") the ornaments






one of mama's little owls~















baking preparations









                                                    







Claire and papa around the fire~













No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~