8.21.2018

late summer beach trip, part one :: salty ocean air


































A few weeks ago, after our trip to Maryland whereupon we swam in the Chesapeake Bay in lieu of the ocean because we wanted to save a bit of time in the car, I decided that yeah- actually I kind of needed some ocean time after all before summer's end.  That salty ocean air is such amazing medicine and soul food and it'd been a while since I'd had a chance to dive into the sea.  So we booked a quick trip to Kure Beach, just about 5.5 hours away from home.  We'd never been there before but have enjoyed trying out various NC and SC beaches and we were able to find a place short notice, so we went for it.  I am so glad we did.

The trip, in a nutshell, went (something) like this:  drive, tacos, grocery run to one of the cutest little places ever, beach, solo bananagrams (I always do this on vacation), sleep, rise early- tea and fruit and book on the teeny tiny (teeny tiny as in I couldn't even fit my unrolled yoga mat out there- but I could see the ocean, so.....) back balcony, bike ride to the pier and then up to the next town, beach, a trip down near Fort Fisher to a place that's great for exploring at low tide, seafood acquisition and resulting seafood dinner, beach, sleep, rise early and slip away for a solo walk on the beach complete with hot tea and a fresh loggerhead sea turtle nest, back to the beach with everyone, a trip to the aquarium, dinner out at a super yummy farm-to-table sort of place, carnival rides (photos from the aquarium and carnival coming up in the next post because a zillion and ten was too many photos for one post), ice cream, sleep, up early for a final beach trip, picked up lunch to go at the Veggie Wagon and alas, back on the road.


Thank you, thank you, thank you, salty ocean air and crashing waves and sand in my toes.

10 comments:

  1. sometimes all we need is just that...
    such beautiful moments shared x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yes, yes. I do think that if I had easy access to the ocean regularly, life's little (and even big) trials would seem a bit less daunting. there really is something deeply grounding and nurturing about a little bit of beach time.

      Delete
  2. It looks like my kind of place. I haven't been to the beach in about 12 years. I think it's time. :-)
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 years! Yes, I do believe you are overdue ;) I hope you make it to the ocean soon~

      Delete
  3. Solo Bananagrams, yes! I'm sold. Lovely photos as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes I can talk the papa bear into playing with me, but he's not as big a fan of wordy games as I am (and I'm not as big a fan of strategy games as he is...) so alas, I often play alone. which actually is pretty fun.

      thank you~

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful and the photos are the evidence.
    So inspiring :)

    Luisa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was so good to get to the coast and feel that salty ocean air for a few days and have sand stuck in between my toes and in my hair and in the car....... I needed it.

      Delete
  5. love your photos! what. a. trip. just lovely. claire looks absolutely adorable out in the ocean with that striped suit and her bonnet. sweet sweet memories. inspired by your early rise with book and tea. i always intend to do this on vacation... but then we always stay up late with wine and games soooo... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I am quite sure the color scheme of the coast is my favorite ever. all the grey and golds and blues and greens. sigh.

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~