10.07.2015

the last big can








there are still chiles to roast and process into hot sauce, and a possible small batch (our tomatillos were late and not very productive this year) of salsa verde to tend to..... but for the most part, we are done with the canning for the year.  last week I added some more pickled beets, okra, and hot peppers to the pantry shelves, bringing our total number of jars so far close to 150.

we had to buy a lot of new jars this year, and already the cabinet is filling back up with empties as we go through some of the jarred goodness.  I look at the empty jars and count what is left and already start to get twitchy about when we'll run out of these tasty treats.  the jam, I know, will last the year.  the pickled goodies, not so much.  at least not the favorites.

and then I remind myself that it is the year 2015, and that I live less than two miles from the grocery store, and I relax a bit and plow through another jar of pickled okra.


10 comments:

  1. I am in awe of you productivity, I seem to do less and less each year. Your beetroot certainly looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. many thanks, though do know it doesn't all come from our own tiny backyard! the peppers and beans and many others, yes, but those beets and the okra were mostly from the farm I worked at a bit, with just a very small amount of those from our yard. and this year almost all the tomatoes we canned came from the farm as ours did terribly.

      but still, thank you. this is by far the biggest year for preserving food for us so far, and we had quite a time with it!

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to hold out on the tomatoes. I froze way more than I canned so in all there some 92 pounds of tomatoes. That won't last this Italian family until January but I'll try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds like a lot of tomatoes!!! and freezing sounds like a great option. enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I bet they taste just as good as they look. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you pickle your hot peppers? My husband was a little overzealous with 24(!) hot pepper plants this year. After 10 different kinds of hot sauce, we are running out of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do! inspired by my friend Lisa. I use her recipe, which you can find in this post: http://www.littlecoffeebeans.com/blog/2012/08/pickled-chiles.html?cid=6a0148c82c74a7970c017c31945033970b#comment-6a0148c82c74a7970c017c31945033970b

      enjoy!

      Delete
  5. mmmm.... yum. i am closing up the canning shop this year. i could still do more apples. i could get more from other sources and we still have one tree with some really small hard to pick ones. i don't know what it is about this year, but i'm done. i feel really overwhelmed with "stuff", i think i just stretched myself too thin with obligations this year. anyway, it felt good to remind myself of the same thing that i could purchase applesauce or apple juice if need be. then i breathed a nice big sigh and closed up the canning kitchen. pickled okra.... must try that some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I love pickled okra! and yes- the subtle reminder to ourselves about the grocery stores and whatnot...... there was a point where I could have kept getting more and more tomatoes from the farm I was working at but I just didn't want to can any more tomatoes!

      balance, balance. the ever elusive balance....

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~