11.01.2014

sweet potatoes






it was our first year growing them and I suppose it was fairly successful.  we got lots of little ones and a couple large ones.  the one next to my foot is the prize-winner (and I wear a size nine).  we'll grow these again, I believe.  maybe mix some sand into the soil next time.  I hear they like that.

today, it snowed.  the garden is a different place now.  plastic over hoops over two of the beds, beds filled with lettuces and other greens.  the rest of the beds are in various states of being 'closed up' for the winter.  deep leaf mulch, dead plants here and there.

the garlic almost went in the other day.  at least we got all the bulbs separated.  any day, now.

let's not even talk about the potted plants I ought to have tended to before the snow.  and before the coming 25 degrees tonight.  ah well.  suppose I should at least reach my hands out and bring in the potted citrus and aloe.  and so off I go.

10 comments:

  1. Some great looking sweet potatoes. At least you managed to get them harvested before the snow. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems ,like the cold snuck up on you! It tends to do that, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sure does! lows of 26-32 three nights in a row and then tomorrow we're back up to mid sixties during the day. at least that should give me a chance to get together lots of kindling and get the garlic in before the next cold spell :)

      Delete
  3. We got snow here too, and I was not quite ready for it either. I've never grown sweet potatoes. I really should try - we certainly eat an awful lot of them. I can't believe how large that one is in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were easy enough to grow, though in the end there were starting to be little nibbles in them from (I'm assuming) moles or voles. I think mixing some sand in with the soil makes them even happier.

      Delete
  4. That is a very nice sweet potato, all mine are usually small, but I still enjoy them.
    Can you believe it snowed as far south as Columbia? All we got was rain and cold, but my fingers are crossed that there will be a snow man in my future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Tracey~ the majority of our were thumb-sized or smallish carrot sized, but we got a few whoppers.

      I saw that! I hope there's a snowman in your future, too!

      Delete
  5. Oh its beautiful! I so wish we could grow sweet potatoes in our climate but goodness yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! it was the first time we grew them and I'm hooked. next year we'll devote much more space to them.

      is it that it's too cool in the NW, or that it's not sunny enough? I suppose they do like a good warm spell.

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~