3.12.2012

March 12 - Santosha

Santosha is sanskrit for 'contentment'.  It is one of the yoga niyamas, or 'observances' that is written on the wall of the yoga studio in town.  To remind us to strive to be content with what is, to renounce the need to acquire more than you need to be content.

It is what it is.
It is what you make it.
Be happy with what you already are, and see that the answers to the most important questions likely won't be found anywhere but within.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I finally got back to a yoga class today.  Over a year ago I left a work-trade situation where I was helping to open up the local yoga studio and sign in students before class once a week (about a 45 minute commitment) in exchange for a credit towards one hour of classes.  By the time I had accrued 17 hours of credit, I'd only gone to one or two classes.  Clearly, an unbalanced situation.  One that I passed along to someone else who could put it to better use than I could at the time.

That unbalanced situation was a part of the 'figuring out how to schedule time for me while caring for a baby and having a spouse who works 24 hour shifts' thing I was learning all about.

And still learning.

But things have gotten significantly easier, of course, now that she is 2 and doesn't require mama and only mama most of the time.  In fact, I'm quite sure she often prefers the company of her main man over me anyway.  And I am A-okay with that.

So now I'm cashing in on those classes.  Gonna make a point to schedule some time each week for me.  To go for long walks alone, get the massages I have been waiting for, catch up with friends over something fabulous at the Chocolate Lounge.  And other things as well.


Perhaps a bit of looking within, and some meditation on Santosha.

1 comment:

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~