3.10.2012

March 10 - toddlers know how to party

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.  You have to go to them sometimes."  
(Winnie-the-pooh quote)


Sometimes (often, to be honest.  usually, to be more honest.) I want nothing more than to hole up at home with my people and lazily pass the days.  Change out of pjs only if absolutely necessary, play in the garden, drink tea, cook, and listen to music.  Watch the clothes wave on the line, listen to the chickens clucking quietly....


I am a homebody for sure.


I am a homebody who also likes to socialize, and that's where motivation comes in.  I'm working on it.


Today, Claire and I spent most of the day out and about as we celebrated with not one, but two birthday parties of some of her dearest little friends.  (Whose mamas happen to be some of mine)  No nap was had, despite my efforts, pre-parties, to wear her out.  Instead, she painted canvases for each of her buds and then we headed out.


We partied hard.  There was painting, jumping on beds, cupcake eating (or licking-of-frosting, anyway), toy car driving, and all of the fun to be had at this awesome new(ish) place in Asheville.  We will definitely be going back there!


Mostly, it was she who partied hard.  I sat back with a beer and snacks watching the fun and chatting with adults.


We took our cupcakes from party #2 home with us.  There's only so much you can do in a day. (party number two had a very subtle Pooh theme a la honey sticks in favor boxes, bumble bees on the cupcakes, and Pooh quotes, like the one above, scattered about.  And BIG red balloons.  lots of fun.)


We left the house around 2:30pm and got home around 9pm.  She was partied out and fell asleep fairly quickly.  I happily recalled the lovely little conversations I had with the grown ups, the catching up I got to do with friends I hadn't seen in months, and the way she hung without me for most of the day~ just checking in now and again to be sure I was still around.


Yep, still here, my dear.  Just watching you do your thing.  Watching those wings spread just a tad now and again.


The thing about being a homebody who also loves being around people is that you don't usually regret not going places, because you are perfectly pleased with the alternative of staying put.


But I also find that I almost never regret having gone.  Having ventured out of the Forest for a bit, so to speak.  Usually, it's quite wonderful.  Friends, friends, friends.  I am blessed to have a network of wonderful people with whom to share my time and energy.  If that's not motivation enough, then I don't know what is.




thank you to the party people of the day,
and thank you to Pooh, source of infinite wisdom

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~