1.02.2019

2018 book list



Well, it would certainly seem that I'm still in that weird "instagram at my blog" stage, but I can't not share a beginning of the year post on my previous year's reading list.  Below are my reads (generally fiction, I tend not to keep track of the nonfiction as much) from last year, in order of them being read, with the ones I enjoyed the most starred. I'd love to hear from you what your favorite reads of the year (or ever) were and which books you're looking forward to reading.  Happy New Year to everyone, and happy reading in 2019!

*The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Kindred- Octavia E. Butler
*The Indigo Girl
*Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
*Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince
*Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Zoli
The Power
Dirt Road
All the Pretty Horses
Grace
Claire of the Sea Light
Americanah
*Little Fires Everywhere
Swimming Between Worlds
Atomic City Girls
How to be a Feminist
Barracoon
Leopard at the Door
*The Great Alone
The Last Letter From Your Lover
A Beautiful Young Woman
Winter Garden
Plain Language
Southernmost
Home for Unwanted Girls
Big Stone Gap
Big Cherry Holler
Milk Glass Moon
Back to Big Stone Gap
SLOW: Simple Living for a Frantic World
The Woman in Cabin 10
The Color Purple
Moon of the Crusted Snow
*Educated
Coastliners
*The Hate You Give
*A Gentleman in Moscow


With Claire:

Swallows and Amazons
The Hobbit
The Curious Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
The Penderwicks at Point Mouette
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix



Here's my 2017 book list post, which has that year's list as well as links to the lists from 2013, 2014, 2105, and 2016. 

10 comments:

  1. This is a great list! Are the asterisks your favorites? A couple of these are on my list for this year, and a few of these, I read as well. I don't know why I've never done a post like this on my blog, but someone just asked me to do one today, via Instagram Direct Message.

    Thanks for always inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes- the ones with asterisks were my favorites. I used to update regularly on Goodreads, but several years ago I shifted to just starting a draft post at the beginning of the year for books read and then I post it after the end of the year. It feels like an easy way for me to keep track!

      Delete
  2. Love your book lists each January!
    Thanks for sharing!

    My two recent favorites are.....

    Where the Crawdads Sing
    Women in the Castle

    I don't think these were on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Maggie! And I've not read either of those- thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  3. So many! OK I'm feeling super far behind. I used to be such an avid reader, growing up in a house without a TV and two parents inside the literary world... Nowadays (mostly since discovering knitting and mmmmmmmmm instagram *shame!*), my reading time hasn't been the best. I must have read 10 books maximum last year. The shock!
    So happy to see you're enjoying Harry Potter! I just posted on my blog too mentioning that I'm going through the Lord of the Rings, and the dispute I thought was going on between the two - ahah!
    lots of love,
    Cat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh but all that knitting you do!! I do much more reading than knitting........ and I also admit that since getting on instagram I've not always used my time as 'wisely' as I intend to (ahem). I read the Hobbit as a kid, but never any of Tolkien's other books. I think as Claire gets older I'd like to read them with her. They are my father's very favorites.
      xo

      Delete
  4. i love your lists! i watched the movie "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and i absolutely loved it. i wish i would've read the book first. i'm sure it's much better, they always are. you know that i recently read "the golden compass" and thoroughly enjoyed it. there is certainly a dark element to it, but the creativity and the flow of the story completely captivated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jenny! Oh I saw that movie, too! I read the book last year and LOVED it, and was then so happy to see the movie come out. I thought they did a very good job with it. I'm looking forward to checking out The Golden Compass. Maybe I'll read it with Claire after we finish HP book 5.........

      Delete
  5. We've read a lot of the same books over the years. I'm looking forward to reading The Great Alone. I really loved The Nightingale by the same author. One of my favorite reads from last year was I Shall Be Near To You by Erin Lindsay McCabe. I put my 2018 reading list on my blog if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh yes I definitely want to check it out! Didn't you do your list last year with book cover photos? I thought that was pretty cool. After I read The Nightingale I started reading several of Kristin Hannah's- or at least some of them. I also really liked Winter Garden by her. I've heard a couple of hers are going to be made into movies. I think it was The Great Alone and The Nightingale. Adding your fave from last year to my library list right now!

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~