10.18.2017

homeschool :: second grade


















We are now well into our homeschooling year, and second grade appears to be coming along quite well.

Late in the summer we finally administered Claire's end-of-grade standardized test (we used the untimed version of the CAT for reading, writing, and math) that we are supposed to have on hand for the state (though I hear they never check for it).  She loved taking it- no doubt that has a bit to do with the novelty of a 'real' test for a homeschooler.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but we came out of it with a good idea of where we were and how to approach the coming year, and feeling reassured that we aren't completely ruining our daughter, education-wise (that's a joke, really- I know we aren't ruining her).

Though much is the same in terms of how we go about our homeschool days and how we organize ourselves and our work (we still start our days, typically, at the dining table while I'm drinking tea and getting her breakfast going, we are generally studying the same subjects, I picked up the same style notebook (an 8.5x11 notebook by Fabriano, got it at AC Moore) that I used last year for planning because I like it so much...), there are a few things that have changed.  Though we had a bit of unscheduled time and plenty of 'go with the flow' moments last year, they came after the work, or during breaks in between.  I wanted to change that, to loosen it up a bit.  So this year we are spending our Wednesday mornings in the woods.  I've been calling it "Forest Day".  We rotate the trails and destinations between 3 or 4 main places and we have 4 or 5 families that often join in.  Sometimes I bring along guide books and magnifying glasses and scavenger hunt sheets and art supplies and such and sometimes I don't.  Mostly, I don't.  Forest Day is the only thing on our homeschool schedule on Wednesdays, and it has been so nice.  During her kindergarten year we essentially 'unschooled', and at first I thought that would be the route we'd take last year as well.  However, once we got going with first grade it seemed like we both needed a bit more of a rhythm and a plan.  And then somewhere along the line I think the plan just evolved into more structure than I'd really anticipated.  Forest Day loosens that up a bit and, for me (and for her, I'm quite sure) helps to bring about some balance to the week and to our time.  Our life is so nature-rich that in the past I haven't felt the need to schedule time in nature, was hesitant to do so, actually.  I suppose maybe I scoffed at the idea a bit, honestly.  But this weekly time that we plan on being in the forest with friends- it's great.  I love it.



The rest of the time, we are filling our school days with all sorts of things.  There are weekly spelling words (again, the 'test' is her favorite part), grammar (we've been talking about nouns, verbs, and adjectives, as well as present and past tense verbs), lots of cursive practice, and loads of reading.  In math we started the year doing a pretty in depth review of place value and now we are mostly working through a math workbook with a pretty varied focus.  In social studies we reviewed the continents and oceans, and have started reading about ancient history using the books pictured above as our guides. In science we've studied bats and trees and insects, did a rock and mineral study, and are currently talking about earth science and the formation of the earth.  There are birds, bees, flowers, monarch-rearing and observing, and so much more.  Theater performances at a couple different theaters in Asheville.  She plays her ukulele, takes weekly horseback lessons, comes with me to art class.  It's a good place we're in.  I do think we've really found our groove.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! Love the addition of the forest day in your weekly schedule! I just may have to try that with my two boys.

    Curious about A Little History of the World. I've already checked and our library doesn't carry it so maybe I will order it. I do like history and Susan Wise Bauer's stuff is really awesome (I think).

    Thanks for sharing your homeschooling journey with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie!

      I really like A Little History of the World- it is written for a younger audience, but isn't as story-oriented as Story of the World. I mean, in a way it is, but mostly it reads as though the author is speaking directly to a child about interesting things, if that makes sense. The chapters follow along quite well with Story of the World, so I find myself using them together and I like the way they seem to support each other. I got a copy from a friend, but I think it's a worthwhile purchase, for sure. (I got Story of the World from the library and had to return it and will probably be purchasing that one).

      thanks for chiming in :)

      Delete
  2. Amanda, Although my kids are both grown (and both are actually teachers) and although I never homeschooled....I absolutely love your posts on homeschooling. My kids were in a great public school, but I always added so many extra "teaching" moments at home, and I see so many things on your blog that bring back memories of things we did alongside their regular schooling. Our vacations were always things like following the Pony Express or Santa Fe Trail, or dinosaur sites in Colorado etc. Anyway, love, love, love the way you are schooling. Thanks for sharing. Your posts are always the most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Terri~ It's fun to hear about the things you did with your children, and we definitely hope to have some great adventures as she gets older. We plan to take advantage of the free National Parks pass for 4th graders and take a trip across country two summers from now, and we've talked about long distance train trips, visiting the Laura Ingalls sites, possibly doing some bigger, farther travel........ but of course (as you well know) there are opportunities for learning in every nook and cranny right at and around home as well.

      thanks so much for your kind words~ they are much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. this is a really beautiful part of having one child. all of that incredible one on one time. i have really enjoyed this peek into your homeschool groove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Jenny~ and yes, that time is definitely such a gift.
      xo

      Delete
  4. What's the handwriting book? I love your photos! Lovely little life you've got going <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a cursive workbook- "Handwriting Program for Cursive- Right-handed" by Phyllis Bertin and Eileen Perlman. thanks :)

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~