3.21.2017

eating, reading












The autoimmune diet continues.  Basically no dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, grains, legumes, nightshades, alcohol, added sugar.  It's pretty limiting but I've gotten fairly used to it.  I am a creature of habit so once I got my new routine down it's been fairly smooth.  Going on 7 weeks now and I'm only just now playing around with adding a couple things back in.  Seed spices like nutmeg, some ghee from grass-fed cows, egg yolks. To my surprise and dismay, I noticed the numbness and tingling a lot more the days following the egg yolks.  No fun.  I mean, we have chickens!  I love eggs!  We'll see.

So - loads of veggies.  Loads of coconut in all forms (including the homemade coconut milk above, and the flour that results).  Some fruit.  Some meat.  Lots of soups still.  A whole lot of butternut and spaghetti squash.  Greens.  Sweet Potatoes.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  I was actually telling a friend just yesterday that I hadn't been noticing the numbness and tingling much these days and then last night and today it's been worse again.  I had the egg yolks in 'pancakes' (I am using that word ever so loosely here- they were basically banana or pumpkin with a couple egg yolks and some coconut milk and maybe a spoonful of coconut flour- they left a lot to be desired) Saturday and Monday morning.  And then the symptoms returned.  Could be something else, who knows.  Such a rabbit hole, all of this.  The reading and the experimenting and the mindfulness-ing.  Sigh.

Anyway, books.  Along with a fairly sizable stack of books on autoimmune fun and thyroid health, I've been keeping up with my fiction reads as well.  Here is where I admit to having never read To Kill a Mockingbird before (there may have been some cliff notes action in high school, but I think we were just assigned other books and then I never picked it up in adulthood), so I read that and Go Set a Watchman recently.  The books pictured above.  I have Braiding Sweetgrass and News of the World up next.  Also, Hillbilly Elegy.  Anyone read that?  I am hearing mixed reviews.  Mike just read it and if I'm quick I can maybe read his copy before it's due instead of having to wait until it's my turn in the library queue.

For now, time to go hit the hay and finish reading about this grumpy old Ove.

Happy Spring~


10 comments:

  1. so sorry you are having autoimmune issues, that is never fun at all. I have had RA/Lupus for 20 years but I use conventional medicine and have the BEST RA doc known to man. I'm lucky. I hope that you see progress soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen-

      I'm so glad to hear you are working with a doctor you love- that is so important, and so sadly hard to find for many. I really like my doctor, and I have an acupuncturist/Chinese Medicine practitioner who I've found very helpful as well.

      here's to good health!

      Delete
  2. Did you enjoy Willa Cather's book? Right after college (which was 20 years ago, oh my), I went through a huge Willa Cather phase. I remember loving them at the time and seeing your blog post makes me want to reread some of her books.

    Any other books you've loved this year? Because of your blog, I read and loved To the Bright Edge of the World a few months ago.

    Good luck with your new diet and health issues. Sounds like you're finding healthy solutions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually still reading it, but very much enjoying it. I'd put it on hold for a bit to get through some that I needed to return to the library soon. It is the first and only Willa Cather that I've read so far, but I could definitely see myself reading more!

      Oh I loved To the Bright Edge of the World (and her other book, The Snow Child)! Hmm...... one that has stood out to me so far this year is The Comet Seekers. It has some similarities (I think) with To the Bright Edge of the World- at least in that there is a good blend of some historical fiction and magical realism. I suppose the similarities end there, but still...... I liked it a lot.

      Thanks! I'm feeling pretty good, and definitely learning a lot about listening to my body (which I thought I was already good at!).

      cheers~

      Delete
  3. I'm just about to start that book, Hillbilly Elegy. I know what you mean about all of the foods - it's impossible sometimes. For me stress throws it all off too. Glad you are seeing some improvement though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to it while my husband still had it, but it is waiting for me at the library now. It always seems like I have several books on hold and they all come in at once!

      YES- stress definitely plays a huge role. I definitely feel much worse when I am stressing out or anxious about things. I'd like to think I'm much more hardy than I am, but sometimes I feel like it doesn't take much to throw things off. I suppose it is all about finding your own balance, learning to really listen deeply to yourself, and working to meet your own needs. A work in progress, for sure!

      Delete
  4. there are so many classics that i have not read. "to kill a mockingbird"... i read that as a sophomore in high school but i don't remember it at all. but how lucky i am!! to still have so many classics to enjoy in the future ;) i'm glad that the diet is working for you, and you found some new information! wow! sorry it's eggs though, that is rough. also... i would love to make you a moon garland :) let's email soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Willa Cather ... and My Antonia is definitely a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell me where to jump back and read about your autoimmune issues. I have been having some major problems and am interested in the diet. I've not gotten any direction from my DR on diet and I've been reading about going vegan... but that feels extreme, but if it works... Looking for any ideas at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, so I went back and found it. and I'm looking for reference for me, too. Can i PM you? Or could you PM me? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~