9.06.2015

kitchen doings



another basket of greens rinsed and chopped for the freezer.  I'm intrigued by the idea of drying some kale to use later.  although I'm not a smoothie-in-the-winter person anyway, so maybe not.  if you dry yours I'd love to hear some ideas (aside from smoothies) about how you use it.


putting up some peaches.  well, sort of.  these are soaking in bourbon (I did also make two batches of peach jam/butter).  they've been in there for a week or so and I've started sneaking some here and there.  you know, at appropriate times and all.


a last batch of salsa, bringing our total to about 30 jars.  once the tomatillos are all ready we'll add some jars of tomatillo salsa to up that number a bit more.


apples from a neighbor's tree.  these will become apple rings.  yesterday we pressed 5 gallons of cider and that is bubbling in the fermenting bucket now.

the fermented carrots are peaking out from behind the basket.  I'm really loving these!  you simply cut the carrots as desired and pack them into a quart jar with any spices you desire (I often will do some or all of the following: garlic, hot peppers, dill, coriander, celery seed) and then add 1.5 tablespoons of salt and top it off with water.  I tuck a cabbage leaf in the jar to keep the carrots submerged.  wait a few days ('burp' it once a day or so) and once it gets to the right flavor for you (I like them after about a week) put the jar in the fridge.  yum, yum.


an interesting afternoon mix.  iced coffee on the left, oat straw and lemon balm infusion on the right.


I looked at it in the beer cooler at the store the other day and wondered if it was too soon and quickly decided... hell no it's not too soon.  pumpkin beer, friends!  because, September.


16 comments:

  1. Now those peaches really do look good, what a great treat. I am in awe of how much you get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! do know that it is all spread out over hours and days, and that there are plenty of 'needs to be tended to' kinda piles around here, too! ;)

      Delete
  2. I am going to have to try your recipe for fermented carrots, I tried them before without much success, but I like the sound of yours.
    I am hoping to score some apples this year, I love having a supply of pie filling on hand during the cold winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, I follow these directions and find them to be pretty foolproof! http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/how-to-ferment-vegetables/

      pie filling at the ready sounds wonderful! how do you prepare it?

      Delete
  3. I have not frozen kale, but if you're looking for a way to use some up, I make pesto with half kale/half basil, then freeze it. I am anxiously waiting cider making time. Our apples have started dropping, but we really should wait a bit longer here in PA. It is too warm for hot cider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made pesto with kale before (just for one meal) because I didn't have basil, but I never thought to make it as a means of preserving the kale- I'll do that, thanks!

      we haven't done hot cider yet- this batch is sitting in the fermenting bucket bubbling away as it becomes hard cider :) it's a bit warm here, too, for the hot stuff.

      Delete
  4. Can I come over and shop at your garden? ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to visit too, and eat some of those delicious veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that goodness happening in your kitchen! Sounds like a delectable place to be right now. :) Cheers to September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers indeed! I always get so happy this time of year as fall is approaching but it's still warm enough to soak up some sunshine and do a bit of gardening.

      Delete
  7. Would you share your salsa recipe with me?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course! I have been using Heather Bruggeman's summer salsa recipe for the last two years and really like it. I usually double the crushed red pepper and add a few jalapeños. yum! here is a link to the recipe:
      http://beautythatmoves.typepad.com/beauty_that_moves/2014/09/capturing-my-love-of-whole-foods-combined-with-the-activity-of-a-bustling-kitchen-a-weekly-collection-of-photos-from-the-c.html

      cheers!

      Delete
  8. peaches soaked in bourbon?? fermented carrots?? wow! and pumpkin beer? you always tease my taste buds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they all three sound terrible together though, don't they? ;)

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~