2.26.2015

snow days

















well we finally got a bit of snow this week after several let-downs and close-calls this winter.  a few inches early in the week, and then 4-5" last night.  we made a snowman and snow angels, pumpkin pancakes and maple hot cocoa and maple snow cones.  she did 'homework' (she regularly sees kids doing homework when she comes with me to after school art classes and so she often asks us to make some up for her), we boiled down what was possibly the last of the maple sap, we cheered as tomatoes sprouted and more and more onions showed their little heads through the soil.  there is a lot of hot tea, a lot of oatmeal with cream and butter, cinnamon and maple syrup.  a lot of sitting by the fire and watching as the wood pile really, truly reaches next-to-nothing-ness (the photo above is of stacked wood for next year- stuff that is nowhere near seasoned yet).  we decided to tea-stain bear to a soft brown so as to help him not look quite so grungy once (finally) re-stuffed and given a new life.  it's challenging to keep a white stuffed bear clean, you know.  there has been art by her, some writing by me.  seems we are both nursing chest colds.  or rather, trying to keep them from taking hold.  last night I took over her room with a warm humidifier and a slew of herbal remedies.  after taking them almost hourly all day and part of the night, I am feeling much better.  hoping she kicks it before long as well because tomorrow morning we're headed to Savannah for the weekend.  a dear friend is getting married so we get to go on a mini adventure.

I wanted to take her sledding today.  or at least I really, really wanted to want to take her sledding.  I didn't feel like it, still coughing and such this morning, but I wanted to be the mom who doesn't let her kid miss out on what is possibly the one and only chance at some real sledding for the year.  but alas, we were (um, I was) lazy about things and by the time we made it there most of the snow was melted and we took two lackluster runs down a moderate hill.  she was surprisingly not disappointed.  me too.  at least we can say we tried.  now we're hunkered back by the rekindled fire drinking tea and watching Fantasia.  fantastic.  and now to pack.

14 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful trip! My grandma turns 85 in April and it is giving us an excuse for a mini vacation and it is insane how much I am looking forward to it! Glad you got some snow and some sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Amanda! we had fun in Savannah even though Claire and I had our first colds of the year. I do love having mini-vacations scattered throughout the year when possible, so fun to have little trips to look forward to!

      Delete
  2. Hope you are both feeling better. I was driving through the snow that fell on Tuesday as I headed south..it wasn't fun :) Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Kim~ we are both pretty much out of the funk now, with just a touch of lingering coughs.

      Delete
  3. Even if you didn't go sledding, you had a ton of great things going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so right~ and honestly, homebody that I am, I think I prefer the couch, some tea, the fire and a book over sledding anyway ;)

      Delete
  4. yay for snow and well you did sled ride didn't you? I think most of the fun is thinking about it anyways. That was the kind of kid I was. My daughter wanted desperately have homework and learn to read early on, fun days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are right, we did!
      sounds like Claire is turning out a bit like your daughter- and I agree, it's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  5. I thought of you when we finally got a decent snow. Glad you got out in it a bit. We were out for a while and enjoyed the sledding. Then, I was over it - inside to work. Glad for some warmer temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm ready for Spring to just come already now, too!

      Delete
  6. I hope you are both feeling a little better now, ready for your trip which sounds most exciting. Sounds like despite the lack of sledding there was lots of fun things going on in your parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you~ we finally are!
      we did indeed manage to enjoy many 'sedate' snow activities. for me so much of the joy is just in sitting by the fire and watching it fall outside anyway. if we got lots more, I'd love to go out snowshoeing, but the last few years we've not had nearly enough to do so.

      Delete
  7. you are adorable :) i love every bit of this... well... except the colds.... hope you have kicked those by now friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! thanks :)
      the colds are all but gone- just some pesky lingering get-the-funk-out coughs.

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~