8.05.2014

these days














these fleeting summer days...

I think back on all that we did last summer.  multiple big trips, canoeing, kayaking, I went to the ballet, we went car camping and backpacking and exploring.  there was berry picking of course.

this summer seems like it's been just the one trip up north and a whole lot of plugging away on the house next door.  it seems that way, of course, because that is precisely what it has been.  and I'm working on becoming okay with that, and on noticing all the joy and happiness right here.  because there is a good bit happening right in front of me, should I choose to see it that way.  music at the lake on Thursdays, market most Saturday mornings, enjoying the new splash fountain in town, fires in the backyard with the greatest of friends, breakfast and tea on the deck in the sunshine, playing in the creek at a park nearby, floating paper boats in the rain..... the neighbor thanking papa for mowing her lawn by giving us a tray of homemade hungarian treats.  even though he mows her lawn to thank her for letting the chickens have access to her back yard for foraging.

also, puzzles (done mostly during my mom's visits) and books.  finally, earlier in the summer, I got into the swing of reading more and have had a good book in hand most days these past several weeks.  I've been lucking out, quite enjoying the ones I've picked up and often feeling compelled to read aloud because I enjoy the writing so.  books like Isabel's Daughter, Me Before You, Beautiful Ruins, and most recently, Delicious!  they go very well with a cup of earl grey in the mid-morning sunshine.

to be sure, lurking about the kitchen there are unfinished (and yet-to-be-started) projects staring at me, taunting me, daring me to summon the motivation to tend to some business.  beeswax that needs to be cut away from the dirty bits if ever it will be used, cabbages that need to be turned into kimchi and sauerkraut, an ever-growing pile of zucchini (despite our eating it regularly) that I keep saying will be made into curried zucchini pickles.  stuff like that.  and all the while more and more pours in from the garden.  but I'll save that for another post.

a final note~  the summer swap will be wrapping up soon, with all of us meant to be sending our packages out by this coming Monday, if they aren't already on their way, that is.  and lest you think I'm on top of things, a swap-host-extraordinaire, perhaps..... well let me just say that mine is not on it's way yet.  but soon.  very, very soon.  and I look so forward to seeing more photos of everyone's goodies in the days to come!

22 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a fabulous summer, hooray!
    I love putting together puzzles and now I think I need to get on started:)
    Despite my swap gifts being done early my box went in the mail yesterday, it will be delivered tomorrow so I hope she likes everything, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looks like she did indeed like it, Tracey! many thanks for participating again- hope it was a fun time all around for you~

      Delete
  2. So much summer goodness in your photos. I actually just finished packing my swap box this evening and it will go in the mail tomorrow. You can check out the goodies in it here :) http://www.motheringwithmindfulness.com/2014/08/blog-swap-goodies.html Hope my swap partner likes it all.

    Thanks again for organizing us Canadians, really appreciate it. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those are some sweet goodies, Kim! I can't imagine anyone not really loving getting that package in the mail~

      thanks for playing along again!
      xo

      Delete
  3. I need to pick up a few items and then wrap everything up. I just realized last night how close the 11th is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. soooooo close! Mine is all ready to ship out on Monday, just in the nick of time. I have a couple breakable things that I'm reaallllly hoping make it alright.

      Delete
  4. Looks wonderful to me!! Have a beautiful day! Thanks for sharing a slice of your life with us.

    Love,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you~
      you are most welcome. thanks for stopping in to read these little snippets!

      cheers from NC~

      Delete
  5. Just finished the one knitted bit for my package......put it in the mail with a big hug yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't wait to see what it was! the big reveal and all as folks start getting their goodies and posting photos ;)

      thanks for playing along again, Sarah~

      Delete
  6. Yes, I too have yet to send out my goodies. Just need to sew on a button and package things up. :) Hopefully by Friday for me! Thanks again for hosting this wonderful swap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your summer is fabulous, your mom visited and you got to be with her and that is way better than a kayak trip :) loved the photo of your daughter enjoying her breakfast outside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, what lovely days! i love the way that your looking at it ;) and goodness.... just having a book in hand most days is something fabulous! i don't think i've read anything (except some blogs) all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Jenny~ I figure best to start shifting my outlook around to being happy (thrilled, even) with what we DO have going on because otherwise, well...... it's just no fun to be disappointed and wishing we were doing other things now is it? "the grass is greener where we water it", right?

      I have been soooo enjoying the books! started "The Invention of Wings" last night.

      xo

      Delete
  9. Yes, those look like the best kind of summer days to me!! I can't believe summer time is already coming to an end soon. Sent my swap package out last week. Hoping she liked everything. I'll be sending out a little something your way as well next week. Happy days to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it definitely seemed to really fly by this year~ I'm doing my best to soak in the last week and a half before school (and therefore work for me) starts again and we're back to a different schedule and actually having to be somewhere at a certain time.

      I saw Tracey's post where she raved about your goodies~ looks like you did an amazing and very thoughtful job making things for her, I love it!

      you are so kind~ now I'm even more excited to be checking the mailbox this coming week!

      xo

      Delete
  10. "because there is a good bit happening right in front of me, should I choose to see it that way." yes, this. i've found myself feel a bit antsy this summer, comparing in my head to past summers when we've had all of our usual adventures. but then, i remember that welcoming a brand new human into our little family is adventure indeed. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad that it was something good for you to hear (read) at the moment! and yes, YES, welcoming a brand new human is indeed an adventure. perhaps the biggest, really. I hope it's smooth sailing in your parts as you make the transition to a family of one more~

      Delete
  11. some summers are just like that -- lots of home time! staycations as we call them over here! i happen to love both 'cations for different reasons. i bet it feels good to look around your house and rental and realize how much has gotten accomplished this summer. it would have probably been a lot harder to do if it weren't for the time at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true. I'm always working on reconciling my world as it goes according to my head, and that which actually happens around me. good practice, living. a lot has gotten done, no doubt.

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~