7.03.2014

this week in my kitchen



scraping the bottom of the barrel of last year's honey, thinking we'll do an early harvest and a later one to keep from having to buy any.  last year (our first year harvesting) we got a little shy of 2 gallons.  this year we're thinking it will be at least double that!  we shall see.

enjoying last year's blueberry jam a bit less stingily than I had been, now that it's clear we'll still have a couple jars once it's blueberry picking time again here.  soon, very soon.

the raspberries continue to flow in.  I've got a batch ready for jam (if only jam-making wasn't such a hot and steamy undertaking) and some in the freezer.






a big batch of a tomato/white beans/garlic/onion/kale sort of sauce was served multiple times for dinner last week.  served over rice or pasta with grated parmesan and lots of fresh basil.  I am not one who gets sick of leftovers quickly, no ma'am.  I'll eat it all week if it tastes good!

also- chocolate walnut oatmeal cookies.  Claire's idea, and a good one it was.  yumyumyum.



if anyone is interested, you can still sign up for the summer blog swap.  we've got about two dozen folks so far and I plan to cut it off around 40 or so this time around.  if you'd like more info click on the link above and follow the links there to get all the details, then let me know if you want in!

cheers~

*playing along with Heather for her weekly This Week in My Kitchen :: Blog Hop series

24 comments:

  1. Inspirational, those cookies look delightful. I intend to make strawberry jam over the weekend. We just keep eating the raspberries so they are about finished. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the last couple times I've gone out to pick the raspberries WAY more end up in my bowl than in the bowl ;)

      Delete
  2. We ran out of jam back in April, but I made strawberry jam on the weekend, and raspberry jam will be next. The cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE love love homemade jam. we made a couple dozen jars each of blueberry and raspberry last year and gave away lots as gifts and through swaps and along with a half dozen jars of blackberry jam they got us through the year with a few to spare!

      needing a new batch of cookies already, they didn't last long......

      Delete
  3. What beautiful pictures. If you open a restaurant, I'll be your first customer! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! oh I like to dream about having a little cafe, but I really have no clue about it and it would take hours for anyone to get their food! it'd be much more convenient if you just came over for cookies! ;)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful images of some of my most favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always lamented the same thing - just when summer is at it's hottest, it's canning season. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a tricky and unavoidable predicament.

      Delete
  6. What gorgeous food! Your berries look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely food Amanda! I could eat at your house every single day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks tasty and amazing! I made plum jam during the weekend, it was so hot, but it worth of!! Hugs from ITaly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yum, plum jam! I've never had plum jam but it sounds incredible~

      Delete
  9. Oh, it all looks great! We're into the berries here big time! Just picked some on my morning run - topping off my granola right now and the little babe is on her third bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are just the best~ I could eat berries every day and be a happy camper, for sure!

      Delete
  10. pretty! I wish we got some berries this year. We have blackberry brambles everywhere but we haven't taken the time to care for them properly...or maybe they just don't give much fruit.
    Looking forward to the swap now that we've had that email exchange. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could always try just hacking them way back- raspberries at least seem to respond to that by coming back tenfold!

      wonderful! some lucky someone will be very pleased with whatever comes their way from your place, I know it!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful harvest! Yummy looking breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yum! you food posts always make me hungry :) i didn't make any jam last year! i am not planning to make that mistake again. our favorite is blackberry jelly.... and we have a crazy abundance of blackberries around here. so excited for the new swap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmmmm blackberries! we don't have a ton of them around here, but I hope to get some at the tailgate market soon.

      I'm excited for the swap, too~ will post about it very soon, just waiting for another person or three to sign up!

      Delete
  13. I'd like to come and shop in your garden. What beautiful food you grow.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~