5.15.2014

this week in (and around) my kitchen :: blog hop













this week in the kitchen has been...

a bit more from the garden: more broccoli rabe, parsley, nasturtiums, kale, and now strawberries.  I've been adding fresh greens to many dishes and the strawberries go quite well alongside french toast and a big ol' mug of black tea.  if they make them into the house, that is.  I'd love to make some more strawberry jam, or try my hand at making some strawberry hand pies.  we'll just have to wait and see if I can stockpile enough to do either.  we have two 4x8 beds of strawberries, but there are three mouths around here eager to gobble them up while they are still warm from the sun.  this is the year we need to expand and re-home some of our runners into a new bed, I think.  one can always use more strawberries.

wine.  I'm enjoying Argentinian Malbecs lately, though still typically prefer a good hearty beer.  it seems to depend on the overall mood/weather/etc.  if I'm the only grown up in the house that night or it's rainy or there's some jazz or the Eddie Vedder Pandora station (I've been digging this lately, it features a lot of Johnny Cash, Mumford & Sons and post-Pearl Jam Eddie Vedder) then it's wine.  sunny and two grown ups?  more of a Ben Folds or Michael Franti Pandora Station night?  beer.

bread.  made with my trusty recipe torn out from Mother Earth News several years ago- a quick google search for Mother Earth News No-Knead bread brings it up in seconds, and really I pretty much have it memorized, but I admire that little magazine clipping's tenacity and am somewhat amazed that it continues to not get lost after all this time, so it stays.

Trader Joe's~  I'm fairly new to Trader Joe's and am still in the feeling-it-out phase, we just got one in Asheville somewhat recently.  I have discovered though that I'm a fan of their black bean and cheese taquitos (and other things as well).  yum.  and with some of the last of last year's tomatillo salsa and some roasted broccoli?  dinner in 15 minutes?  yes, please.

also, smoothies.  we tend to alternate between berry smoothies and pineapple/coconut/banana smoothies.  today's was coconut milk + OJ + coconut flakes + banana + pineapple + spinach.  mmm mmmm good.  spinach goes down a bit easier in smoothies around here than kale does.  soon, thinking maybe later today, I plan to start filling some popsicle molds with some of these concoctions.  thinking I like the sound of watermelon + coconut milk + mint.  do any of you have this book?  I know the interwebs are loaded with recipe ideas but I keep peeking at this one.  and I guess it's like the thing with the bread recipe, sometimes I just want a hard copy of something, you know?


*joining Heather for her This Week in My Kitchen :: Blog Hop series

22 comments:

  1. I loved your pictures and I loved your text with it. So nice to see how it all comes together and how garden and kitchen are closely entangled! (I think that you've linked up the post of last week instead of this one…)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you~ closely entangled is most definitely how I prefer the two to be, and more so as the season progresses! you are right- thanks for the heads-up! I have been linking the same post every week, the one from the first week I joined in-oops! (fixed it)

      Delete
  2. The bread looks delicious...I am now dreaming of some homemade strawberry jam on fresh bread yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so fantastic! I can't wait for my strawberries and nasturtiums!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, we have the same green bowl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhh...i'd love to be in and around your kitchen...it all looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh renee! hi! I hope you've been well~ need to peek in on your blog and see what you've been up to these days....
      and, thank you~

      Delete
  6. Very pretty photos and the food looks so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda, I love your pictures. Your salad looks delicious. The bread... I might need to try this recipe. Looks good too. Cute glasses too. Perfect for spring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Marcela~
      loooooove this recipe, so good. I was all but out of all purpose flour so it was almost all whole wheat and tends to be a bit dense as such, but still delicious. typically I do 1/2 and 1/2 or 2/3 all purpose and 1/3 whole wheat, but you can easily play around with it. my mother-in-law tells me those glasses are what sour cream used to come in when she was little! (found them at the thrift store years ago)

      Delete
  8. Everything looks so very good! The bread looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm you have been enjoying some delicious food this week in your kitchen. I really like that no knead bread and smoothies are my favourite kind of drink oh and tea at the moment since the weather is cooler where I live. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's been cool and rainy here the past couple days and all I want is tea, tea, tea~

      Delete
  10. dinner in 15 minutes is wonderful, isn't it? I love meals that I can get on the table within the hour. I shy away from over an hour standing in the kitchen. lovely photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FANTASTIC! And you do not need a kitchen re-do. You have white counters, white cool cupboards. COME ON GIRL!
    Love the photos, the food, the garden delights.
    Such an inspiring post, thank you!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you are sweet, Cory~ and of course you are right, I don't actually NEED anything to happen in there ;) now, I'd LIKE to eventually replace the peeling white (with metallic flecks) laminate countertops and at least paint the orange-y stained plywood cabinets (the cool white door is my pantry, in the dining room) and currently aqua-fresh green walls. all in time. maybe.

      many thanks~
      xo

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~